The undersea volcano to the north of Grenada (Kick Em Jenny) is currently at ALERT LEVEL ORANGE due to increased seismic activity:
ORANGE is described below –
- Highly elevated level of seismic and/or fumarolic activity or other unusual activity. Eruption may begin with less than twenty-four hours notice.
- All regional governments alerted through Disaster Coordinators and Venezuelan diplomatic missions. – Sauteurs Observatory continuously manned. – Continuous communication with NERO. (GRENADA and St. Vincent and the Grenadines). – Summit area under continuous visual surveillance. – Scientists and emergency personnel within exclusion zones maintain continuous contact with the Observatory.
- Vulnerable communities advised of evacuation routes and transport put on standby. – Local radio stations in Grenada, St. Vincent, Barbados and Trinidad placed on alert. – Public listens to local radio continuously for updates and visits the Seismic Research Unit website if possible. -All shipping stays outside the first exclusion zone (1.5km from the summit). – Non-essential shipping (pleasure craft etc) stays 5km clear of the summit (second exclusion zone). – Visiting scientists who are not taking part in essential monitoring are regarded as non-essential.
ALL PERSONS WITH MARINE INTEREST ARE TO NOTE THE ZONE OF EXCLUSION AND COOPERATE WITH AUTHORITIES WHO ARE MONITORING THIS ACTIVITY.
Further information can be sought here: http://uwiseismic.com/NewsDetails.aspx?id=365
In light of this, please ensure ALL Marine Interests are notified of this development as this situation continues to be monitored. Additionally please ensure all evacuation/business disruption plans are updated and communicated to all employees.
This is critical for businesses in the following locations:
- St. Vincent & The Grenadines (southern and western coastlines)
- Barbados (northern and western coastlines)
- Trinidad & Tobago (northern & western coastlines)